It’s about as festive a holiday treat as the traditional, decorated sugar cookie. It looks beautiful, tastes delicious and is simple to create. With a duo of decadent chocolates further complemented by the distinct, refreshing taste of peppermint, what’s not to be jolly about?
From glo magazine’s kitchen to yours at home, we wish you a sweetly precious—and delicious—holiday season.
8 ounces semisweet chocolate squares
8 ounces white chocolate squares
2 teaspoons canola oil
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
40 peppermint candies, crushed
- Grease a 9×9-inch pan and line with waxed paper.
- Break the semisweet chocolate into pieces and place with 1 teaspoon of the canola oil in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently and avoid scorching.
- When the chocolate is melted, stir in ¼ teaspoon of the peppermint extract. Pour the melted chocolate into the prepared pan, and spread evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle half of the crushed peppermints over the chocolate layer, then refrigerate until hardened, about 1 hour.
- Break the white chocolate into pieces and place with the remaining 1 teaspoon canola oil in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring frequently.
- When the chocolate is melted, stir in the remaining ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract. Pour the white chocolate directly over the semisweet chocolate layer; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crushed candy over the top and gently press in. Refrigerate until completely hardened.
- Once hardened, remove from pan and break into small pieces to serve.