By Chef Mark Graves,
Marko’s on 2nd, 135 S. 2nd Street, Decatur
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kickoff to the summer season. People everywhere will be joining their friends and family as we return to the backyards and lakes after a cold winter. It’s time to enjoy some nice weather!
If you haven’t already, its time to get the grill out of storage and break it in for another great summer season. I can’t think of a better way to kickoff the grilling season than with BBQ Baby Back Ribs. This easy but tasty rib recipe, along with a nice glass of shizaz or a ice cold brew is perfect to complete a great Memorial Day weekend.
BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- 1 T. Smoked Paprika
- 1T. Chili Powder
- 1 T. Garlic Powder
- 1 T. Brown Sugar
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- 1T. Black Pepper
- 3lbs. Baby Back Pork Ribs
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Rub down the ribs, front and back with the spice rub. Refrigerate for 12 to 16 hours.
- Pre-heat a gas grill on high heat. Lightly oil the grill grates or spray with cooking spray.
- Place the ribs on the top rack of the grill. Reduce the grill heat to low, close the lid and leave undisturbed for one hour. Do not lift the lid at all!
- Finally, the ribs should be tender at this point, now brush the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce and continue to grill for an additional 10 minutes. Your barbecue season has now begun! Enjoy…
Pairs well with…
I think a 2010 Greg Norman “Limestone Coast” Shizaz would pair nicely with BBQ, or if you are more of a beer and BBQ person, I recommend a Belles Two-Hearted Ale.
The 2010 Greg Norman “Limestone Coast” Shiraz is made of grapes grown on the south coast of Australia. This Shiraz has flavors and aromas of dark plum, black cherry, raspberry and black berry. This bottle retails for $15 and nicely complements BBQ or smoked meat.
Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale is brewed just across the Michigan boarder in Kalamazoo. This American-style IPA has an intense hop aroma with subtle flavors of grapefruit and pine resin.